Storing all of your businesses’ files and documents at the office can quickly lead to a lack of space. A storage unit near you can provide a convenient solution and offer a secure place for your confidential information. MyPlace offers the necessary security, flexibility, and perfect storage conditions so that you don't have to worry about the logistics of storing company documentation. In this article, we'll explain the best approach for storing documents and the specific benefits of storing your items at MyPlace.
Document Organization - Sort and organise before storing
Before you can start filing away and filling boxes, you have to ensure that your documents are organised logically to facilitate easy access to individual files later on. We've summarized the four basic steps of document and archive organization for you:
- Set up a numbering and storage system: Develop a system that allows you to keep track of all documents and find them quickly when needed. Typically, sorting by year, month, and department is a useful first step.
- Label documents: the date of compilation and type of document should be clear when looking at the label to make identification and consultation simple.
- Buy and use archive boxes: Special boxes with lids are best suited for storing documents in the long term. They not only help to keep documents in order but also reduce their storage volume and protect them from dust, dirt, and light. Our customers can also acquire shelves, in which the boxes can be stacked, in our online shop. If you want to know how much storage space you will need for your documents, we recommend our helpful storage space calculator.
- Check legal retention periods and make it a habit to regularly sort out old files: Document storage is subject to strict legal regulations. Check exactly how long you are required to keep each document type. This way, you have an overview of which documents are no longer relevant and can be destroyed, saving valuable space.
Proper File Storage - The 5 Most Important Tips
Once your files are organised and labelled, you can start storing them. Here are the five most important tips to ensure that you can read and refer to them for a long time:
- Folders and boxes with lids for protection: Document boxes and folders with or without fasteners are the best way to store documents securely in the long term. They not only help keep documents in order but also reduce their storage volume and protect them from dust, dirt, and light.
- Ensure a constant, relatively cool room temperature: A storage temperature of 16 to 18 degrees Celsius is ideal for document storage. Luckily, that is not a concern at MyPlace – our storage units are monitored and protected from extreme fluctuations and temperatures.
- Check for humidity: Documents are best stored at a constant humidity of about 45 °C. MyPlace also ensures that the humidity levels in the compartments are within this range to maintain stored items in the best possible condition.
- Avoid sunlight: Sunlight can fade ink and damage paper. For this reason, it is essential to store documents in dark or dimly lit rooms or place them in document boxes.
- Safety first: Documents contain important and confidential information about your company and should therefore only be stored in places with appropriate security measures. MyPlace has a multi-level security system with video surveillance, an alarm system, and access control, providing all the conditions for secure document storage.
Storing Documents at MyPlace - Enjoy the Benefits
Our storage units and compact boxes offer ideal conditions for the storage of documents. We've summarized the advantages of document storage at MyPlace for you:
- Ideal conditions: Our storage units offer ideal storage conditions that ensure security, cleanliness, as well as monitored and regulated temperatures and humidity.
- Maximum security: At MyPlace SelfStorage, we ensure maximum protection for your belongings thanks to our modern security measures, such as surveillance cameras, alarm systems, and access codes.
- Flexibility: We offer maximum flexibility. You can adjust the storage period according to your needs and only need to comply with the minimum rental period of two weeks. You can also rent larger or smaller storage units at any time, depending on how your space requirements change.
- Short distances, convenient transportation options, and free parking: We offer short transport distances and convenient freight elevators, making it easy for you to bring your storage items to your unit. In addition, free parking spaces are available on-site. For large amounts of documents, our transport and moving service can be a real help.
- Convenient locations: Our locations are well-connected to local public transport networks and can just as easily be reached via car or transporter.
- Know-how: Our team is happy to answer your questions by phone, via email, or in person:, whether you want to know more about our additional services, want to find out the right size for your storage unit, or are in need of storage tips.