Renting a basement storage unit can be a great solution when you’re running out of space. However, storing items in basements is not as straightforward as it may seem and can come with several challenges. We will show you the advantages and disadvantages of renting a basement compared to a regular storage compartment, and provide you with helpful ideas on how to get as much use as possible out of your basement space.
Why Rent a Basement or Storage Room?
There are countless reasons to rent a basement or storage unit. Here are the eight most common ones:
- Not Enough Space at Home: Apartments often lack room for items that we don’t need frequently. A basement storage unit offers the opportunity to store sports equipment, holiday decorations, or other items outside the apartment, thereby creating more space and improving the quality of life within the living space.
- An Addition to the Family: When a baby is born, the home office often needs to be converted into a nursery. But where to put the office furniture and supplies? An additional basement storage unit provides a practical solution.
- Heirlooms: When a loved one passes away, many organizational tasks need to be managed, including storing inherited items. A basement storage unit can provide a suitable storage space for these items.
- Separation: After a breakup, many people want their ex-partner's belongings out of the apartment quickly. However, if the ex-partner hasn't found a new place yet, these items need temporary storage. An additional basement or storage unit can provide a quick solution.
- Moving In Together: When moving in with a partner, you suddenly have duplicate belongings. A basement storage unit can help expand your storage space and accommodate shared items.
- Renovation: During remodeling or renovation, furniture and furnishings need to be moved and stowed away, so they don’t interfere with the work being done. A basement is a perfect interim storage solution for this period.
- Going Abroad: When going abroad for a certain period and wanting to sublet your apartment, personal items and valuable furniture need a temporary new home. A basement or storage unit serves as a secure storage option.
- Hobbies: Some hobbies require a lot of space that you may not have in your apartment. A basement storage unit can be used to store items such as instruments or model train collections.
So, there are plenty of reasons why you would consider renting a basement, as it offers the opportunity to create additional storage space and keep your home clutter-free.
Which Items Should Not Be Stored in the Basement?
Fluctuating temperatures and the damp air in basements are critical factors that can lead to detrimental conditions for delicate textiles, electronic devices, and furniture. Furthermore, basement spaces often lack sufficient security compared to rented storage rooms, as they are not monitored and lack specialized burglary protection measures.
|REASONS TO NOT STORE THEM IN THE BASEMENT
|Due to fluctuating temperatures and high humidity, delicate textiles can be damaged, develop stains or start to mold.
|The typical humidity and temperature fluctuations that occur in basements can damage electronic devices.
|Dampness can favour mold and mildew on wooden furniture or upholstery.
|Humidity and stark differences in temperatures can negative affect the shelf life of many foods. The possible presence of pests in the basement causes another risk factor.
|In the basement, valuables are exposed to a higher risk of damage and theft.
|Damp and mold thrive in basements and can pose serious risks to important documents. It is advisable to store them in a dry and secure place instead.
It is therefore important to consider the environment and suitability of the basement space when storing items to prevent damage or loss. Renting one of our numerous storage units nearby is a good alternative! Our compartments can be used for the same purposes while offering the benefits of secure storage under optimal conditions.
What Can Be Stored in the Basement?
We have gathered inspiration for potential uses that can help you make the most of your basement storage unit. If excessive humidity and fluctuating temperatures are not a concern in your basement, here are our top four recommended uses for the space:
- Personal Library: Books can take up a lot of space in the living or bedroom, but they can just as well be stacked on shelves in the basement. The result? An excellent overview of your literary collection. Just make sure to store the books under the right conditions to enjoy this storage solution for a long time.
- Home for Children’s Clothing and Toys: Children grow quickly, and their needs change over time. A basement storage unit offers an ideal space to keep items that are no longer needed but might be useful for future siblings or kept as mementos.
- Storage for Seasonal Sports Equipment: Many people have a passion for different sports and accumulate a range of sports equipment over time. Whether it's bicycles, skis, golf clubs, or fitness gear, a basement storage unit provides ample space for safe storage during the off-season.
- Personal Wine Cellar: Basements typically provide a cool and dark environment, ideal for storing wine. If you're a wine enthusiast with a collection of fine wines, you can store them in your basement storage unit under optimal conditions.
Basement vs. Regular Storage Unit - Advantages and Disadvantages
When deciding between a basement unit and a regular storage compartment, it's important to keep the key advantages and disadvantages of both options in mind. Here's a concise overview:
|+ Easy access: usually located in the same building as the apartment or part of the house
+ High security thanks to video surveillance
+ Choice of different storage unit sizes
+ Flexible contract terms
|- Limited space
- Frequent problems with humidity and extreme temperatures
- Higher risk of mold or pest infestation
|- Longer distance from home to storage
A storage unit, therefore, offers several advantages that often make it the better choice. Our storage units provide ideal controlled storage conditions along with maximum flexibility. Additionally, our team is quipped with the necessary expertise to assist you with any concerns.
Renting a Storage Unit at MyPlace - Overview of All Benefits
Our self-storage units make for an ideal temporary home for your belongings. We have summarized all the advantages of our MyPlace storage units for you:
- Ideal Storage Conditions: Our storage units are secure, clean, and subject to temperature and humidity control.
- Maximum Security: Modern security measures, such as surveillance cameras, alarm systems, and individual access codes, ensure excellent theft protection.
- Flexible Rental Duration: You can adjust the storage duration to your needs after a minimum rental period of two weeks, and rent larger or smaller units as required.
- Short Transport Distances, Freight Elevators, and Free Parking: You can park on-site for free, and transport heavy items comfortably to your storage unit using short, barrier-free transport routes and convenient freight elevators.
- Expertise and Advice: Our storage professionals are available for consultations via phone, email, or in person. Whether you want to get more information on our additional services, figure out the right storage unit size for your needs, or get helpful tips on how to store your items – we are happy to help you out!