At MyPlace, we offer plenty of space and ideal conditions for the secure storage of your summer and winter tires. If you rent one of our Self Storage units near you and read up on our tire storage tips, the biannual tire change will become a much more efficient and stress-free endeavour.
How Do You Store Tires Correctly?
Careful storage is crucial for extending the lifespan of tires, ensuring road safety and maintaining optimal performance. Here are five important tips that help you store tires properly:
- Check the tread depth: Before bothering to store car tires, check the tread for wear. If the tire's tread depth is so low that it's no longer roadworthy, consider replacing it with a new one.
- Clean the tires: Thoroughly clean the tires before putting them into storage to remove dirt, dust, and contaminants. Use mild soap and water to wipe down the tires and make sure they are completely dry before storing them.
- Check the air pressure: It's essential to check the air pressure in the tires and ensure it matches the recommendations. Before storage, the air pressure should be 0.5 bar higher than the manufacturer's recommendation, as tires lose pressure over time. By following this guideline, you can avoid tire deformations.
- Choose the ideal storage location: Store the tires in a cool, dry, and well-ventilated place protected from direct sunlight, moisture, and extreme temperatures. Tires should not be stored near chemical substances, oils, or solvents, as they can damage the rubber. MyPlace storage units are designed to offer optimal storage conditions for your car tires.
- Stack the tires: If you're storing multiple tires, it's best to stack them, ideally on a tire rack. Stacking them directly on top of each other also works, just ensure they are not compressed or deformed. You can place cardboard or rubber mats between the tires to avoid direct contact.
How Long Can Tires Be Stored?
The storage duration of tires depends on various factors, such as quality and proper storage. Generally, tires can be stored for up to eight years if the storage conditions are optimal. However, you should inspect the tires regularly and carefully before use.
Storing Tires – Garage vs. Storage Unit
You can store your tires in different places: the basement or the garage are popular choices, but rented storage units offer some important advantages. Here are some pros and cons of each option:
|Basement or garage
|Affordable and convenient: the tires are stored close by and available round the clock.
|Ideal storage conditions: the temperature and humidity in the units are carefully monitored and controlled. Also, the units are not exposed to sunlight – ideal conditions for tire storage.
Harmful environmental influences: humidity and temoerature fluctuation can quickly cause damage to your tires.
Waste of space:
Danger in case of fire: The rubber mix that car tires are made from can cause fires to spread more quickly and produces poisonous vapours when on fire. For fire safety reasons it is therefore not recommended to store tires in the basement or garage.
|Transport distance: the tires have to be stored and retrieved from the unit.
Storing tires in a clean and secure storage unit is reliably the best option– but what to do about the annoying transport to and from the compartment? We are happy to help out! With our convenient transportation service, you can have heavy items, such as tires, delivered from your home to our facility and back. Detailed information on this offer can be found on our moving and transportation services page.
Storing Tires at MyPlace – Discover the Benefits
Our Self Storage Units make for the perfect temporary home for your car tires, furniture, clothing, or documents. We've summarized all the advantages at MyPlace for you:
- Ideal storage conditions: Our storage units are secure, clean, and climate-controlled. Additionally, no sunlight enters the units, providing the perfect conditions to keep tires in their ideal state in the long term.
- Maximum flexibility: After a minimum rental period of just two weeks, you can adjust the storage duration according to your needs. You also have the option to rent larger or smaller units as required.
- Accessibility, freight elevators, and free parking: pack up your boxes and belongings, park for free on-site, and conveniently transport your items to the storage unit by making use of barrier-free transport routes and practical freight elevators.
- Expert advice: Our experienced team is available to assist you over the phone, via email, or in person at one of our locations. They are happy to help with any concerns, whether it's selecting an additional service, choosing the right size for your storage unit, or figuring out the correct storage methods.